Student Visa


To prepare the documentation that certifies that the student has been admitted to the Barcelona Academy of Art and other necessary documentation to initiate the visa application process, we require that the student has paid the corresponding part of the non-refundable deposit.

Who needs a visa?

All national students from a country that requires a visa to stay in Spain must apply for a study visa.

Visas allow international students to stay and study in Spain, as well as to carry out research or training activities, participate in student mobility programs, carry out non-work placements or provide volunteer services.

1. If the studies will last less than 90 days, a short-term visitor visa or Schengen Visa will be issued, provided that the visitor’s nationality requires a visa to enter Spain.

2. If the studies will last longer than three months, it is necessary to process a specific Student Visa.

The citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are not required any authorization or visa to reside, study, work or perform these activities in Spain (Article 44 of Royal Decree 557/2011, of April 20 ). This exemption also applies to family members.

Before coming to Spain

Consult the Consulate of Spain in your country of origin for the requirements for applying for a student visa in Spain. You can also check this information in the web of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Spain.The application process of the student visa must be done directly by the interested party and always from their country of origin (except for cases of renewal or extension of the study period).

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain examines the application files, so the procedure may take more than a month from the moment in which the interested party presents all the documentation. For this reason, we recommend that you initiate visa application procedures in good time.


As a general rule, documentation will not be processed with an urgent nature except for exceptions. In urgent cases, the administration department will add a fee that must be covered by the applicant student.

When and where should I apply for student visa?

Student visas are requested personally by the interested party at the Embassy or Consular Office of Spain closest to their home in their country of origin.

Should I request additional documentation upon arrival in Spain?

Citizens of the European Union

European citizens and citizens of the states that are part of the Agreement on the European Economic Area may reside in Spain for less than three months without the need to obtain any type of authorization or document. However, if they wish to reside in Spain for more than three months, they must appear before the Foreigners Office of the province where they wish to establish their residence and request their registration in the Central Registry of Foreigners, immediately issuing a certificate of registration, which will include the name, nationality, address, your foreigner identity number (NIE) and the date of registration. For this, you must prove that you are a student in a public or private centre in Spain.

Non-EU citizens

If the study period lasts less than 6 months, the student visa will allow you to stay in Spain during the time of your stay. You do not need to request additional documentation upon arrival.

If the study time is longer than 6 months, your entry visa will be valid for 3 months. Therefore, you must apply for the student card [NIE (Foreigner Identification Number) or TIE (Foreigner Identification Card)] at the corresponding Foreigners Office or Police Station, which will allow you to remain in Spain for as long as the studies last. This card is usually valid for one academic year and may be renewed annually from Spain.


Any procedure in the Foreigners Office requires the request of a prior appointment.

Can I work in Spain during my studies?

Yes, as long as the work is compatible with the activity for which the student visa was granted and the income obtained is not a necessary resource for their sustenance.

During my stay in Spain for studies can my family accompany me?

Yes, under certain conditions.

Only the following relatives can accompany a foreign student during their stay in Spain:

  • Spouse or de facto partner legally constituted.
  • Children under age.
  • Children of legal age with disabilities who are not objectively able to provide for their own needs due to their state of health.

The stay of these relatives in Spain is conditioned to the authorization of the student visa holder. This implies that, in order for his family members to accompany him, the student must first obtain a study visa. Only when the student has obtained the study visa can their families request their respective visas.

Links of interest

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!

Please upgrade today!